Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oh the things you can do...

... and feel good about!  Any of you that know my family at all know that we REALLY like to eat out!  Well, over the last six months or so I've been trying to steer us away from that.  It's healthier, and definitely cheaper to eat at home.  Now, I've always enjoyed cooking but never was very good at it.  I could cook anything in a box; but come on now, that's pretty much cheating and probably still not very healthy.  So, I've really been branching out.  I plan a menu every month.  We eat at home every Mon, Tues, (used to be Wednesday but church starts back this week so we'll be eating there most Wednesdays), Thurs night John and I try to go out for dinner (just the 2 of us so that's usually the kids sandwich dinner night, or ramen noodles, etc.), Fri, and at least one meal on Sat.  The first month or 2 was pretty boring I must admit.  I have a pile of cook books but was really afraid; that the kids wouldn't like it, that I would have no idea what to do, etc.  Around Mother's day (I think) we sold a cook book at church to raise money for a local children's home.  It was made up of family favorites from around the area so I thought "why not, other families like this stuff".  Well, our meals suddenly became much more involved; which was fine with me!  The family loved most everything I made.  We were all sitting at the table together enjoying each other in a much quieter atmosphere, and it wasn't breaking the bank!  The past month or so I've been digging into that pile of cook books.  Turns out my family is pretty willing to at least try anything; and they are still loving most everything.  If there is anything that even one of us doesn't like we talk about why, and if it's something that can be altered to fit us better; we decide I'll try it like that next time and we'll go from there.  It's absolutely wonderful, and I feel so good about being able to cook and provide good healthy meals for my family.  It also helps that I'm being money conscious for John.

1 comment: