Monday, August 15, 2011

today was the day...

Well, we've been waiting all summer to find out who Jordyn's teacher is for 2nd grade and to find out if the boys got in the classes we hoped for.  Let me start by first saying, I was told once (about 7 years ago when I was so worried about Travis starting school) to pray daily, all summer long, that God would place him in the class best suited for him with the teacher best suited for him.  I started then and have never swayed.  I pray starting at the end of the school year until a few weeks into the year that God will place all three of them in the best situation for them for the year.  It has been a WONDERFUL, miraculous thing watching God work in this way when I trust and watch.  A few examples, of course with Travis, when he was in 1st grade he got a teacher that was WONDERFUL.  She helped my behavior challenged child blossom into an independent, mostly attentive, by the end of the year hardly ever getting in trouble, 7 year old.  It truly was a miracle and I am forever grateful to her.  In 4th grade he was put with a teacher that I was sure was a mistake!  John John had had him in 4th grade as well and though I loved the teacher was sure it was not who was best for Travis.  Two weeks into the year I received a letter stating that the class was being split and did I have a preference or not.  I prayed again and chose not to choose believing that if God wanted him moved He'd find a way for him to be one of the ones picked.  Travis stayed in the class where he started and it ended up being one of his best years yet.  God truly does have it all under control.
Now, back to today...  Actually it started last week.  John John got his schedule last Wednesday and thankfully is in all the classes he requested.  Travis, of course, was the one I was most worried about.  We got his schedule over the weekend and were very happy to see that he got into the classes that we wanted for him.  Now, today the elementary lists came out.  We knew who we wanted, and I probably could've requested, but as I said before, I have trusted God so far and it's been nothing but perfect so why change things now.  On Saturday I checked the list of teachers and was very surprised to see some teachers had moved around.  The teacher whom Travis and JJ had had in 4th grade had moved to 2nd grade, and another teacher had moved from 5th grade to 2nd grade.  The lists showed today that Jordyn not only did not get in the class we wanted, she got the last teacher I would've picked!  Now, first things first, I have never met this teacher; have had no experience with her at all, this is strictly based on things I've heard, and one thing we've experienced.  This particular teacher has a reputation of being very strict.  In a way this could be very good for Jordyn; she needs to learn to follow directions the first time, to pay attention to what she's being told and doing, and to be in a little bit of a hurry.  However, I've also heard that this teacher is not very kind.  I know that last year one day in the parent pick up line Jordyn had to use the restroom.  When she asked could she go this particular teacher told her no and proceeded to yell at her when she started to cry.  Needless to say Jordyn wet her pants and was forever terrified of said teacher, whom she will now be spending an entire year with!!!!  I am having a very hard time, right now, trusting that this is the right place for her.  I know that God loves her more than I do and would never put her in a place where she would be hurt (in this case emotionally); but it's all I can do to not contact her teacher from last year, whom we LOVED and completely "got" Jordyn, and make sure that this is gonna work.  My baby is so sensitive and becomes very flustered when she is scared and let me just say that if she comes home one day crying....  Well, anyway, I'm praying hourly now that I become more trusting.  As I said before, it's been a wonderful thing watching God work in mysterious ways that I never would've thought.  I just have to keep reminding myself of that over the next few weeks!  Thank you God for the love you have for my kids.  Thank you for teaching me trust in this time when all I want to do is run crying to someone to save her!  Thank you for hearing my prayers over the summer and putting my children with the teachers that will love and care for them the way you, and I, would want.  Thank you for preparing the way for them!  In your name, Amen

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...so, I'm all about trusting God, but I'm also about speaking the truth in love. Could this be one of those opportunities where you teach your daughter how to go to someone who has offended her and say, "Ma'am, when you did this, I felt... I want to have a good year, but I feel afraid. I thought maybe if we talk about it, I would feel better." Sometimes the humblest steps melt the hardest hearts. Perhaps, instead, this will be one of those seasons where your daughter is taught to stand up for truth and not back down. Maybe you will have some battles to fight with this teacher...situations that require you to show your baby girl how to respect and honor a person in authority, but that it is okay to have godly and healthy boundaries for yourself where you are not walked on or abused! You just never know why God would orchestrate or allow such things. I believe He is more concerned with our character than our comfort. It seems that sometimes we need to encounter rougher personalities to teach us some things. I will be praying for you all! I'm so glad you know that God's hand is on your children. Doesn't it make all the difference! You are a great mom!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Mindy! I've actually thought thru all of that and think that God has big plans for my baby and me and possibly her teacher this year. I've thought about the possibility that maybe God is using us as a light in this life, or that maybe it's a lesson for me to not make judgement before experience! We shall see. Thank you so much for your prayers, they are greatly appreciated! I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete